19 Responses to “The Shadowplay Impossible Halloween Film Quiz”
1) Saw: The Beginning
2) Cloverfield II: I Took Manhattan
3) While The City Barfs
4) Paul Revere and the Raiders Meet The Munsters
5) The Creeping Nostril
6) Rod Sterling Presents: High Modernism
7) Horror Hospital Replugged
8) Antonioni’s Comic-Con: The Ennui
9) The Flash in The Pan
10) Dead of Night II: Nurse Jackie’s Revenge
11) Le Grande Bouffe II: Sloppy Seconds
3) The Brainiac
8) Night of the Bloody Apes
I don’t know all of these, but have seen a few.
2 is GUMBY RETURNS, from when Clokey sold his character rights to Herschell Gordon Lewis.
3 is Franju’s great 1960′s remake of Feuillade’s LES WEREWOLVES
4 is EL CARNIVAL TERRIBLE, Jess Franco’s horrid adaptation of an Alejandro Jodorowsky graphic novel, best remembered for being the first film of Michael Chiklis (second from the left)
5 – can’t remember, but that character seems familiar. Saw it a long time ago. His name started with an M, perhaps?
6 is THE SCARE-DRESSER, based on the true story of a hairdresser who went berserk. To avoid comparisons with SWEENEY TODD, the production designer went expressionist – that’s a giant comb in the middle, with shears in the foreground, as the crazed coiffeur (a miscast William Powell) clumsily narrates from inside his own dreamscape.
8 is the direct-to-DVD prequel to SUPER (entitled SUPRA), attempting to posit that Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page were in fact the same character (though they couldn’t afford Page, so that’s Elle Fanning in the suit).
11 is either DEATH ENDTABLE: THE ENDTABLE THAT EATS PEOPLE or an industrial film about trampoline safety.
8 is GHOST WORLD 2: GHOST BOOGALOO, which Thora Birch made years later to jumpstart her career.
10 is I WAS A TEENAGE DOLL NURSE, a once-lost Val Lewton picture that was about a woman who fell in love with a man convinced he turned into a doll at the full moon.
11 is GLASS TABLE WITH A WOMAN’S TORSO, the Umberto Lenzi giallo where Rome is stalked by an insane interior designer.
“I only asked!”
2) IT CAME FROM THE UNDERFUNDED SPECIAL EFFECTS DEPARTMENT!
“Smell my fingers”
3) OLIVER TWIST
“Smell my fingers”
4) THE ONE SHOW
“And now here’s Dominic Littlewood to guide us through all the pitfalls of buying a crypt”
5) THEY PUT TALC IN HIS HAIR!
“Don’t be afraid – it’s only talc”
6) INSIDE ESCHER’S RIBCAGE
“…and this vast structure housed a heart the size of a small heart”
7) ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD, BUT YORICK IS JUST RESTING
“Smell my fingers”
9) YOUR CHEEKS ARE A VACUUM AND ONLY I HAVE THE CORRECT ATTACHMENT
10) ATTACK OF THE SLIGHTLY TOO BIG NURSE
11) LESS THAN A WOMAN
apparently i was on the wrong page
Hahaha! Chuck V is correct in both his answers, and I’m loving the titles and captions. Must have a go myself. I have successfully forgotten what most of these films are so it should be easy…
And now some incorrect ones:
1) Thunderbirds are Grue!
2) Totem Recall
3) Weasel Rider
4) The Diddums Family
5) Mango Bites Dog
6) The Cabana of Dr Caligari
7) Caligari Glenn Ross
8) WWF WTF?
9) Extra Strong Mints: The Revenge
10) Glass Night of Short Dolls
11) My Better Half
[...] The Shadowplay Impossible Halloween Film Quiz – It’s just one round — photo identification — name the film AND provide a caption. If you don’t know the title, invent one! [...]
Alex points out by email that if you hover your cursor over the pics, you get the real titles!
1) “Tell me only the good things that come into your mind when you think about… your mother?”
3) “Professor Alvarez, you astound me!”
5) “Mango… kill!”
6) “No – Frank Lloyd Wrong!”
11) “Am I mortified!”
1. “Der Secret Freund, der nicht war wirklich ein Freund” (German, 1963). (Literally “The secret friend who was not really a friend.” Released in the US as “Killbot VII”)
2. It’s from “Maya Deren: The BBD & O Years.” I don’t recall the title of the film but I think it’s a Buick ad.
3. Good God, I think I actually saw this. “Brainiac”? Something like that.
4. Jack Cardiff’s “The Mutations”?
5. “Raza Tineri Ca Mango” (Romanian, 1970) (“Young Ray as Mango”). Do you realize you left the title on the still?
6. Is this Rod Serling doing a Twilight Zone intro? Otherwise I’m stumped.
7. Might be Claude Raines at the tail end of “The Invisible Man.”
8. Definitely Patsy Kelly, but can’t place the film.
9. Famous Monsters of Filmland used to publish a lot of stills similar to this from something called ‘The Crimson Ghost,’ but I don’t think this is that.
10. “Attack of the Seven and a Half Foot Woman.” This was on TCM last night!
11. “Debora, Cosa c’è per cena?” (Italian, 1981). (Literally ‘What’s for Dinner, Debbie?’ American title: “Killbot IX”
The Mutations is a film Jack Cardiff claimed to have forgotten making. One can see why. That’s not a pic from it though.
Great answers! I’ve written about the last movie, I think. That’s Miou Miou in the Harpo Marx wig. Remember Miou Miou? And no, the title is not “I Remember Miou Miou.”
#3 is The Brainiac
#4 is Little Red Riding Hood & Tom Thumb Versus the Monsters.
Yep! The Brainiac seems to be the best-known film on this list. One can see why… you’d never forget that face.
#2 is Pagan Island (I think I remember seeing stills from this in The Incredibly Strange Films book)
#9 is The Mystery of the Ghastly Face
#10 is Curse of the Doll People
#11 is Tender Dracula
Yay! I think everything got answered except (1) which is John Carradine’s last film, and (7) which is the loveliest image of them all. Both Mexican. Bit of a Mexican slant this year.